Setting The Benchmark For Fishermans Bend
New standards of innovation and sustainability will drive development of Fishermans Bend, with the release of the 2050 vision document establishing a clear direction for future planning work and delivery.
The vision recognises the 491-hectare area near Melbourne’s CBD as an opportunity to set new benchmarks for inner city urban renewal including:
- An integrated transport strategy including cycle paths, tram lines and an underground rail line
- A target of 80 per cent of transport movements made via public transport, walking or cycling
- Open space within 200 metres walking distance for all residents and workers
- Primary and secondary schools
- Activity centres in each precinct including retail, jobs and community services
- Delivery of catalyst projects – the Ferrars Street Education and Community Precinct is just the first
- Diverse and affordable housing options.
Fishermans Bend will eventually accommodate 80,000 residents and 60,000 jobs by 2050 and this vision document will underpin detailed planning work for four separate neighbourhoods and a new employment precinct.
Design and engineering will be at the heart of the employment precinct, following the Andrews Labor Government’s recent purchase of 37.7 hectare Holden site.
The government is doing the groundwork needed so Fishermans Bend is a great place to live, work, learn and invest with the right mix of infrastructure and services to support a diverse range of families and businesses.
The vision aligns with the Labor Government’s Plan Melbourne update – our city’s blueprint for growth and sustainability to 2051 across the areas of transport, building resilience to climate change, housing supply, diversity and choice, and sustainability and energy efficiency measures.
Written submissions together with the vision and a public engagement report are available on the Fishermans Bend website www.fishermansbend.vic.gov.au .
The vision document is part of a comprehensive consultation program which will continue in coming months.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Planning Richard Wynne
“Fishermans Bend is a golden opportunity for Melbourne and Victoria where we can create an inclusive, creative, sustainable neighbourhood that our city needs to remain marvellous – and inspire and inform future developments across the state.”
“This vision will pave the way for new neighbourhoods on the doorstep of Melbourne’s CBD that is an affordable and accessible place to live and work.”